In college, we went to this restaurant that had cheese curds, and I loved them. I haven’t eaten them in years, but this week when I was trying to decide on an air fryer recipe to make, they came to mind. Listen…. these are vastly different than The Keg’s deep fried cheese curds, but they are delicious nonetheless. I used goat cheese, but really you could use any soft cheese you like. Some examples would be feta, brie, cream cheese… Anyway, enough talking, here’s the recipe!
What you need:
- For poppers:
- 4oz goat cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup finely ground bread crumbs
- For hot honey
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp hot sauce
What to do:
- Form 30 half inch balls out of goat cheese. Place in freezer for 20 minutes to set in order to avoid melting during prep.
- Prepare 2 bowls – 1 for whisked egg and 1 for bread crumbs.
- Roll the cheese in egg, then bread crumbs. Repeat this step again for thicker breading. Repeat for each cheese ball. Place in an even layer in the air fryer on foil or air fryer liner.
- Once they are in the air fryer, spray a light layer of cooking spray over the top to achieve golden brown.
- Cook at 390° F for 7 minutes. I left mine a little longer than this and the cheese started to leak out of the breading… still tastes great.
- While cooking, mix your honey and hot sauce together for the perfect dipping sauce.
- Remove cheese poppers from the air fryer and enjoy!