Oh man. I swear, there is nothing quite like grilled pineapple in the summer time. This recipe really hit the spot. It was not difficult. You just need a grill or an air fryer and a stove! I can honestly say I was sad it was over – but, it makes for great leftovers or meal prep for the week if you’re into that!
What you need:
For the chicken
- 1-1.5 lb chicken breast (I use split chicken breast for quicker grill time)
- 1 jar chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
For the fruit/veggies
- 5 slices of pineapple
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- remaining chicken marinade
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the rice
- 1 cup jasmine or sushi rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can coconut milk (I use Thai Kitchen’s unsweetened)
What to do:
- Combine chipotle peppers, water, garlic, onion powder, and salt in a blender or food processor. Mix to create a thick sauce.
- Pour sauce over chicken and place in fridge for at least 1 hour (up to 24) to marinate.
- To remaining marinade that’s left in the blender (there won’t be much, just whatever is left on the sides) add olive oil. Shake to combine.
- Pour this mixture over sliced peppers.
- Preheat grill. While preheating, begin making your rice. Heat can of coconut milk and 1/2 cup water until it boils. When it begins to boil, add rice. Reduce heat to low. Let cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat but do not remove lid. Allow rice to sit for 15-20 minutes while chicken and veggies grill to absorb remaining coconut milk.
- Grill pineapple, veggies, and chicken until internal temp of meat reaches 165° F.
- Start your veggies first (about 5 minutes before adding chicken). Grill chicken ~4 minutes (if you’re using split chicken breast, longer for full chicken breast). Flip and cook on other side until reaching appropriate temperature. Pineapple only needs about 1 minute on each side.
- Place rice in bowl. Top with chicken, pineapple slice, and peppers.