So this week we found out that there is some sort of safety issue with our gas oven. It was recommended that we not use our range or oven until it can be checked out. I found this information out after I planned my menu for the week, which included stovetop and oven based short ribs, soooo it was time to get creative. Luckily the instant pots these days have alllll the features, including sauté, which is used initially in this recipe.
What you need:
- 1.5 lbs bone-in short ribs (about 4 short ribs)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Roma tomato, sliced into 4 pieces
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
What to do:
- Turn instant pot to sauté setting and heat 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Once oil is hot, sear short ribs for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from instant pot.
- Add sliced onion and red wine of choice to deglaze. Cook until onions are translucent, about 1 minute, then turn off sauté feature.
- Add back in short ribs, garlic, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, beef broth, paprika, and cayenne.
- Turn to instant pot feature. Cook on high for 45 minutes, and allow natural release for 15 minutes.
- Serve with potatoes, spoon over onions and remaining sauce, and enjoy!